There are many wonderful variations of this recipe, so it's easy to tweak according to your taste.
This is how I've made it, and we liked it! Ü
4 cups cracker crumbs
(I used 2 packages from a box of wheat saltines)
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup butter melted
4 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
1lb turkey ham, diced
4 cups shredded cheese
(typically this is all Swiss, but I used what I had, which was Swiss + a casserole blend)
1/2 bunch green onions, chopped
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 cup sour cream
1 cup cream soup base
(To this cream soup base recipe, I added salt, pepper, and ground thyme, to taste.)
• Stir together the first 3 ingredients.
• Stir together soup and sour cream.
• Layer the casserole in a greased 9x13 baking dish as follows:
- Half of the crumb mixture
- Half of the chicken, sprinkled with salt and pepper
- Half of the cheese
- All of the ham
- All of the mushrooms
- All of the green onion
- Soup and sour cream mixture
- Remaining chicken, sprinkled with salt and pepper
- Remaining cheese
- Remaining crumb mixture
• Cover with foil and bake at 325° for 45 minutes, then remove foil and bake 15 minutes longer.